Collaboration

Excerpted from the College Competencies

What does this mean in the Core and my other courses? The ability to work inclusively and productively with a group toward a collective outcome; the ability to create an environment where each perspective is considered for the cooperative purpose of making progress toward common goals

Holistic Description

For collaborative work to be successful, there needs to be coordinated interaction between the individual members of a group or team, including: the articulation of a shared vision, clear role identification, integration of diverse perspectives, engagement in an iterative process for continual improvement, and shared accountability. 

Guiding questions

• What are my roles and responsibilities, and the roles and responsibilities of others in the group? 
  • How am I encouraging and integrating a diversity of viewpoints into the group’s process? 
  • Am I missing any viewpoints that would help ensure the inclusion of all participants or stakeholders? 
  • Is the group revisiting, reflecting, and improving upon its ideas and process for continual improvement?
  • What is the shared vision (common goal) of the group?  
  • How am I communicating with members of the group to track work progress and task status updates? Is it working?
  • How am I helping each member of the group (including myself) be accountable in completing agreed upon tasks and responsibilities?
More Writing in the Core
Analytical Thinking
Communication
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion